Ok so I'm getting all patriotic over here in NYC and have recreated an allergy/ healthy version of an Aussie classic; THE LAMINGTON. For those who have no idea what a Lamington is, let me enlighten you. It's a cube of vanilla sponge, dipped in chocolate then rolled in coconut and it's insanely delicious but sadly not so good for you. So I didn't get the cube part down pat but it ticks all the nerdy health freak boxes (#paleo #glutenfree #vegan #sugarfree and #dairyfree) making them more or less guilt free!
1/2 cup cashews
1/2 cup vegan vanilla protein
1/4 cup toasted coconut flakes
1.5 tbs mct powder (optional)
1/4 cup almond meal
1 tbs mesquite powder
8 tbs melted coconut oil
1/4 cup desicated coconut + extra for rolling
2 heaped tbs of cacao powder
1/4 cup water
- Whiz the 1/2 cup cashews in a blender for 30 seconds so they are not completely blended
- In a small bowl combine the 2 tbs of cacao with 4 tbs of the melted coconut oil, this should make a smooth chocolatey syrup type consistency. Set this aside this is to coat your balls after they have been made
- In a medium sized bowl, combine all of the remaining dry ingredients.
- Add 4 tbs of coconut oil and half of the water and mix thoroughly. We are aiming for a dry dough like mix, slowly add the rest of the water if needed to achieve this.
- Rollin' time! Take the mix and roll into balls about 1 & 1/2 inches in diameter as you finish rolling each ball, place in a bowl in the fridge.
- Once all of the balls are rolled it's time to coat these delicious things in the choc. Dip one at a time in the choc then into desiccated coconut. Place on a plate and then into the fridge for the choc to harden. Store in a sealed container in the fridge and try not to eat them all in one sitting!