Sushi has always been a favorite of mine, this recipe is one to certainly wow any guests, surprisingly filling, super fresh and one keep you looking lean in time for that beach getaway.
1/2 Medium avocado
2 cups poached chicken breast (I poached it with some powdered ginger in the water)
1 &1/2 cup cauliflower
1 &1/2 cup brocolli
1 purple carrot
1/2 yellow pepper
Handful of fresh dill
2 tbs tahini
1/2 tsp Chili flakes
Nori seaweed wraps
Bamboo Sushi rolling mat (or you could do what I did and use a wooden place mat as it has the exact same effect)
Ok let's do this one thing at a time and then I'll explain how to put it together. Remember things are to be sliced thin and chopped up small because we have a lot going in to this sushi and we want to make sure it all fits in nicely.
- Blend the cauliflower in a bullet blender until it looks rice like.
- Take your cauliflower rice and sautée in a pan for about 4-5 mins. The goal here is to remove moisture not cook entirely.
- Take your rice off the heat and put in a small bowl, stir through the juice of half a lemon and chilli flakes.
- Chop broccoli super fine and put in a small bowl. In a separate bowl or cup combine the tahini, 2tbs of lemon juice and a big pinch of black cracked pepper.
- Add the dressing mix to the broccoli and stir through until all of the broccoli is covered evenly
- 2 tbs of sesame seeds
- create thin ribbons with a mandolin slicer, if you don't have one of these then a vegetable peeler will also work.
- Cut eat ribbon in half lengthwise
- Take poached chicken and shred with a fork or slice up into thin inch long pieces
- Julienne the pepper lengthways as thin as you can
- Take the 1/2 avocado and slice it lengthways, remember to keep it quite thin.
PUTTING IT TOGETHER:This is all about layers!! Make one at a time and don't try to over commit too much otherwise you might be in for a vey messy experience.
- Moisten Nori wrap with water and place on bamboo/ place mat wet side down. I did this by quickly running it under the facet as it was drizzling.
- Take 2-3 heaped tablespoons of the cauliflower mix and spread it on the bottom 2 inches of your nori. Make sure it goes right to the edges of the wrap and is roughly 1/2 an inch thick.
- Repeat previous step with the broccoli mix.
- Take 4 carrot ribbons and lay on top of the brocolli
- Follow with chicken, peppers, avocado and dill and you are ready to roll!
- Use your thumbs and forefingers to pick up the edge of the mat closest to you. Use your other fingers to hold the filling while rolling the mat over to form a roll. Make sure it is super tight and pull the mat as you go to create a firm roll.
- Put on a plate in the fridge and repeat this for a total of 5 rolls. Once all of the rolls are complete, refrigerate for 5-10mins
- Now with a super sharp knife, cut your rolls into pieces, I would keep them 1-1.5 inches thick.
- Serve with pickled ginger and wasabi and enjoy that guilt free sushi!
SERVING: 5 rolls - 6 pieces per serve