Summer may have come to an end however my love of fresh meals that leave you feeling oh so good will never die. Ceviche will always be a favorite of mine; it's healthy, it's super simple but impresses friends and lovers and tasty AF. What is it? It's originally a Latin American recipe for raw fish and seafood marinated in citrus juice, mainly lime and lemon juice. The acid in the citrus juice "cooks" the proteins in the fish, it appearing opaque and cooked but essentially it's raw. This is another recipe that can be an entire meal if made for two or served as a pre dinner snack to impress friends with corn chips and a killer sangria, I mean there's just so many options!
1 lb raw swordfish
Juice of 2 limes
1 jalapeno finely sliced
1/2 cup freshly chopped cilantro
1/2 cup freshly chopped mint
7 oz lite coconut milk
1/4 cup shaved coconut
- Take a super sharp knife to the swordfish fillet and slice it as thin as possible, cutting into pieces roughly an inch in length and 1/8 of an inch thick. Place in a medium sized bowl.
- Cover the swordfish with the lime juice, add the sliced jalapeno, stir and leave for 20mins.
- While this is "cooking" in the lime juice , take a frypan heat to a medium heat and "toast" the coconut. This process is actually quite quick so keep an eye on it. As soon as the coconut flakes start to change in color and lightly brown take it off the heat and place in a bowl to cool, this will also insure that it won't continue to cook in the hot pan even though the heat is turned off.
- Once the 20mins is up, add the coconut milk, cilantro and mint and make sure it is all stirred through. Yup this bad boy is ready to serve- how easy was that?!
- Serve in stemless wine glasses or drinking glasses (this has a super impressive effect while portioning it perfectly) Top the ceviche with the toasted coconut and you are ready to rock! This can be served with alone in a glass or with a side of tortilla chips and eaten together.
if serving 2:
Protein : 45